After posting a recipe for pumpkin twinkies, I got several requests for twinkies in other flavors. People love twinkies, that’s for sure.
Did Hostess ever make a banana twinkie? Not sure about that, but if you like banana bread and portable snack cakes, I’m certain you’ll enjoy these gluten free banana twinkies.
Gluten Free Banana Twinkies
Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl:
1½ cups gluten free flour
½ cup brown or raw sugar
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
¼ teaspoon each ginger and nutmeg
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
Combine the wet ingredients, then add to large bowl:
3/4 cup ripe banana, mashed
½ cup milk
¼ cup melted butter or oil
1 egg, beaten
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Fill greased twinkie pan with batter, using a disher to scoop batter evenly. Bake for about 24 minutes, until tester inserted remains mostly clean. Let cakes cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from pan. Twinkies should be completely cool before filling with the buttercream, icing, or cream cheese of your choice. Yield: 8 banana twinkies
- A combination of gluten free flours usually gives the best result. Pick up a ready to use flour blend like the one from King Arthur Flour or use your favorite all-purpose mix. Get more info on gluten free flour blends here.
- Recipe can be doubled. Freeze extra twinkies to enjoy anytime.
- Hemp milk is great for gluten free baking, but dairy milk can be used in this recipe as well.
- Melted butter can be used in place of oil.
- Even though the twinkie pan is nonstick, it must be greased.
- Make sure the oven is preheated. Twinkies like that sort of thing.
What kind of twinkie should I make next?