Light and fudgy, these gluten free twinkies are the kind of cake you dream about. Especially when they’re topped with a magic shell drizzle that works equally well poured over ice cream. If you don’t have a twinkie pan, make muffins instead. You really can’t go wrong when it comes to this much chocolatey goodness.
Chocolate Banana Twinkies ~ gluten free
Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl:
¾ cup flour
½ cup brown sugar, packed
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of cinnamon
Combine the wet ingredients, then add to dry:
½ cup buttermilk
½ cup ripe banana, mashed
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Fill greased twinkie pan with batter, using a disher to scoop batter evenly. Bake for about 24 minutes, until tester inserted remains mostly clean. Let cakes cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from pan. Chill twinkies in freezer for 15 minutes before drizzling with magic shell topping. Yield: 8 chocolate twinkies
Magic Shell Topping
In a microwave safe cup, melt:
2 teaspoons coconut oil
Add and stir until combined:
2 tablespoons chocolate chips
Drizzle topping over chilled twinkies. Sauce will harden in about a minute. Magic shell topping can also be used on ice cream.
~ Notes ~
- A combination of gluten free flours usually gives the best result. For this recipe, I used ½ cup black sorghum flour and ¼ cup tapioca flour. Black sorghum looks just like cocoa powder, so it’s especially enticing in chocolate baked goods, but awesome in breads, too. Here’s more info on gluten free flour blends.
- No buttermilk? Sour hemp or regular dairy milk by pouring 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar into a measuring cup and adding milk to measure 1/2 cup. Stir and let sit for about 10 minutes.
- If you don’t have a twinkie pan, batter can be baked into muffins. Fill 12 greased or paper-lined muffin tins, using a number 16 disher to scoop batter evenly.
- Make sure the oven is preheated. Twinkies like that sort of thing.
- Recipe can be doubled. Freeze extra twinkies to enjoy as needed.